Tuesday 31 January 2012

January round-up

If you read my post at the start of January (Thoughts on New Year), you will know that, rather than setting resolutions for 2012, I have chosen a word to be my focus for the year.

My word for 2012 is organised.

Anyone who knows me well will realise how much of a challenge this word poses: I am a bit of a scatter-brain, a terrible hoarder and an incorrigible procrastinator. How, exactly, are you supposed to change the habits of a lifetime?

With small, baby steps.

I have found some really good advice out there on the web: from professionals who help people overcome clutter and chaos (especially Rachel Papworth of Green and Tidy), as well as from others struggling along the same path.

So, now that January is drawing to a close, I thought I'd write a report of progress so far. 

One of the first things I did was to set up a diary and calendar for the New Year and so far they are both still in use (a big thing for me - diaries usually last about 3 weeks!). I have also completed my first self-assessment tax return this month (a daunting job that I was finding it far too easy to procrastinate about!). I have to send out a big thank you to my lovely friend Alida for helping me to see that starting this task would not be so bad, but that putting it off would have serious consequences!

I have also spent a lot of time sorting my craft stash (Oh, for the love of... boxes!) which has been very successful.



I have added two sets of drawers to hold bits and pieces, which means that I can now access all these things really easily. I am loving having just one thing in a box (so that I don't have to move all the card to get at the felt, for example) and the shelves, though full, are accessible and easily kept tidy.


So even though the space is small I feel I have made good use of it all (the space in the top photo inspired me to acquire the second set of shelves - the gap was the perfect size!). 

The decluttering/tidying mission has extended to the rest of the house but you don't really want to know about that right now! Suffice it to say that so far this year I have made:
 
2 trips to the Sort-It Centre (aka tip!) 
2 bags to the charity shop
Box of bits and pieces ready to sell
A pile of shirts etc that I will make into a scrap quilt

And I haven't even ventured into the spare room yet...

I am actually feeling quite proud of myself and hope that, if I can keep the momentum up, some of the new routines I am establishing will become automatic.

Next month, I intend to get back to crafting. I am hoping to set up an on-line craft shop in February as another outlet for my creations. I also need to buy some new shelves.

So there are just a few things on the to-do list for next month already!

How are you doing with your resolutions so far? Have you managed to keep them?

3 comments:

  1. Well done! Can you come and do the same here when you've finished, please? But of course - I won't let you throw much (I mean anything) away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really well done Kirsty. It takes something to tackle clutter and it looks like you're making great progress, both with clearing out stuff and with organising what you're keeping. I love your photos!

    Thank you for mentioning Green and Tidy. I'm delighted that you've found my advice and resources useful.

    I'd love to hear how much money you make from selling unwanted items. It's great to hear that you're donating some to charity too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...